Saturday, June 12, 2010

Day 39
When I was a child my Sunday School teacher gave us an assignment. We were asked to promise that the next time we were upset or annoyed at school we would walk around and smile at everyone we met. She wanted us to take note of what time we started and how long it took to feel better.

I got angry with my teacher who had said something I thought was unfair just days later. It mattered at the time, but I do not remember what it was now. School was letting out and as I left the building I did as I promised. I smiled deliberately over and over again at the other kids as they were leaving.  They smiled back, even if they had not been paying attention to me at before.  In just a few minutes, before I even realized what was happening, I felt better.

When I did notice feeling better I was irritated again, this time at me. I wanted to stamp my foot. I earned my anger after all. It was justified. Never mind that feeling better was much more enjoyable than being angry, I was entitled to feel bad.

How easily we give up our peace with rationalizations and justifications. How often do we choose to be unhappy when happiness is within our grasp? How often do we blame others for our choice?

Verse for Today
1 Peter 1:2 . . . Grace and peace be yours in abundance.

Word for Today
Choice

Today I will make a choice to be happy and at peace and as I sit in the silence I will know I chose.

No comments:

Post a Comment