Thursday, May 20, 2010

Week 24
The problems of today are temporary, but they may not always look that way. I had a friend whose grandmother used to say, “And the Bible says 'this too shall pass.' Thank goodness it does not say this too shall stay.” It is a good way to lighten a difficult moment.

I remember when my son was born. It was a long and difficult birth and I just wanted it to be over, then there he was, a blue baby wrapped in his umbilical cord. The doctor unwrapped him with assistance from his nurse and held him up. He did not cry. He was stiff and blue and so quiet.  Suddenly the past several hours did not matter at all.  All I wanted was for him to breathe. They suctioned his nose and mouth and still, he did not cry. I knew we were in trouble and I could not take a breath as I prayed. The doctor jiggled him and he did not cry.

In that moment, the world had fallen away, there was just me, my son, and God. I heard the nurse tell the doctor to pat his little bottom. The doctor did and I heard his first gasp. Color came to his skin as he let out a wale. I do not know how long that moment took, but for me it was forever. The moment was long and dark.  It seemed to last forever.  I was afraid AND still it passed. 

When the youngest son of Jesse, David was anointed as the next king of Israel, Saul was not happy.  What seemed like a blessing led over and over again to moments when things looked dark and he was afraid. He had his moments when he forgot that he was anointed, chosen by God, and eternally linked to the Divine AND the moments passed.

It can be easy to forget in the midst of a crisis that life is eternal and the moment is not. Still, life is eternal and the moment is not.  We can release our fear when we trust that we are anointed and we have not been forgotten. It takes courage to take the next step and let the moment pass.

Verse for This WeekPsalms 56:3
When I am afraid, I will trust in you.



Word
Eternal

Today I acknowledge that life is eternal and this moment is not.  I  release my focus on any temporary problems so they too may pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment