Saturday, May 22, 2010

Week 26
I was flipping through channels on the TV one night and I was amazed at the number of channels devoted just to shopping. It was late and so it seemed that if I was not on a shopping channel, I was on an infomercial. In a matter of minutes, I was promised I could look younger, grow richer, look like I lost weight, actually lose weight, find love, the list was endless. Most of what I was told I should want came in a box or a bottle for a special low price if I bought today.

None of these things are bad in and of themselves. A healthy weight, abundant lifestyle, and love and support are blessings in their place. Yet, over and over again I was told I should idolize youth, beauty, wealth, and a superficial vision of perfection over everything else. Every generation has its own idols doesn’t it?

It seems as though even though humans are born with the same innate values and needs, somehow needs take over and we get off balance.  We know we are off balance when we look at ourselves and believe the lie that we are not enough.  If we honor our values the things of the world fall away and we do not need to listen to the messages the world sends out.  When we are in balance the values we honor can be met by trusting our needs will be met. 
Verse for This Week
Jeremiah 10:5
Like a scarecrow in a melon patch, their idols cannot speak; they must be carried because they cannot walk. Do not fear them; they can do no harm nor can they do any good.

Word Honor

Today I will honor my connection to Spirit and know that it is my connection that brings me all that is good and meets all my needs.



No comments:

Post a Comment