Thursday, May 27, 2010

Week 28
There is controversy over who wrote Revelations. Some scholars believe that John the son of Zebedee and apostle of Jesus who was credited with writing the Gospel of John wrote Revelations as well. Others believe another John wrote the book. It is one of those Biblical controversies which is, well, not so important to me.

What we do know from the writing is that a man named John had a mystical experience of Jesus on the island of Patmos some time in between the years 40 and 96. He begins by saying that he was in Spirit, which can be assumed to mean meditation or contemplation. During his time with Spirit he had an experience of Jesus. The fact that he had an experience of Jesus during his quiet contemplative time is much more important to me than who he actually was in life.

Quiet time is very important to me.  Like John my time in "Spirit" allows me to experience God.  Contemplative meditation provides me with more than an academic understanding of God. It is my time to be quiet, so I can listen.

Verse for This Week
Revelations 1:17 Do not be afraid. I am the First and the Last. 18I am the Living One; I was dead, and behold I am alive for ever and ever!

WordContemplate

Today I will spend time in silence contemplating the everlasting nature of the Divine Spirit of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment